Last week, in my post on how to avoid holiday weight gain, I shared with you a few ways to “healthify” favorite holiday recipes.
An avid gingerbread fan myself, just this morning, I took my own advice and tried a new gingerbread muffin recipe in which I used Kodiak Cakes’ Organic Oat Flapjack and Baking Mix (13 grams of protein per serving!) and also subbed unsweetened applesauce for half the amount of oil typically required. Try it out and let me know what you think!
Ingredients (yields 10-12 muffins):
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Kodiak Cakes Organic Oat Flapjack and Baking Mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 12 muffin cup/tins.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg, applesauce, oil, molasses and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and add to first mixture.
- Stir in the water, mixing well.
- Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.